Dark Chocolate/Cacao Health Benefits and Recipes
Updated: Apr 30, 2019
Posted by North Jersey Massage Maywood, NJ
Healthy dark chocolate is made from cacao. It is one of the best antioxidants, contains fiber and is loaded with minerals such as iron, magnesium, copper, potassium, phosphorus, zinc, selenium, and other minerals. Limit yourself to one ounce a day or less.
Some additional benefits to dark chocolate/cacao includes:
- Lowers LDL (bad cholesterol)
- Increases HDL (good cholesterol)
- Improves insulin sensitivity
-Flavanols from cacao improve blood vessel function
- Cacao or dark chocolate may improve brain function by increasing blood flow
Please be aware that a lot of the chocolate on the market is not healthy. Don't be mistaken by the chocolate sugary bars. Choose quality stuff such as dark chocolate 70% or higher cacao content.
Enjoy the following cacao recipes and improve your health!
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 Tblspn cacao powder
1 Tblspn almond butter
1 handful ice cubes
Put all ingredients in a blender and enjoy!
Coconut Cream Energy Bars
2 Tblspn Maca powder
1 cup raw almond meal
1 cup chopped pitted dates
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 tspn pure vanilla extract
1 Tblspn cacao powder
Water, as needed
Put all ingredients in a bowl except for water. stir to combine. Add 1/2-1 cup at a time to food processor and blend until finely chopped and sticky enough to spread on flat dish. If it does not stick add water one teaspoon at a time until it sticks together. Put in freezer for at least 30 minutes. Store in freezer. Enjoy!
Flourless Fudge Brownie Bites
-1 cup almond butter
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tblspn Maple syrup or Pure date syrup
-1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tspn sea salt
- 1/2 cup cacao powder ( can do 1/3 cup cacao + 2 Tbsp Maca powder)
- 1 Tblspn vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees line 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
3. Pour into baking dish.
4. Bake 30 minutes.
5. Let sit to cool 20 minutes.
6. Remove parchment paper and slice into squares.
At North Jersey Massage Maywood, NJ we look at the body as a whole being for good health and wellness including nutrition, exercise and relaxation. Visit www.northjerseymassage.net to see what services we offer or call 201-406-8220 for additional information.