MASSAGE FOR ARTHRITIS PAIN RELIEF
Updated: Jan 23, 2019
Posted by North Jersey Massage Maywood, NJ
Arthritis is a degenerative condition causing pain and stiffness in the joints. There are two types of arthritis Osteoarthritis occurs when the cartilage between the joints breaks down. Rheumatoid arthritis occurs when the lining of the joints becomes inflamed.
-warm, swollen or tender joints
-muscle pain and weakness
Traditional medicine treats arthritis with anti-inflammatory medications and painkillers. In some cases, surgery may be done. However, medication causes side effects.
What you can do to relieve arthritis pain:
-Lose weight- extra weight puts more pressure on the joints, especially hips, knees and feet.
-Exercise such as water aerobics or swimming is great to increase blood flow to the joints
- Heat therapy- heat dilates the blood vessels, stimulates blood flow and increases the supply of oxygen.
-Cold therapy- to relieve joint pain from swelling and inflammation.
- Shiatsu, Acupressure, Massage Therapy- restores balance in the body, strengthens the immune system, increases blood circulation into the joints to aid in the healing process, reduce pain and improves range of motion.
- Meditate- helps with relaxation
- Include Omega 3 fatty acids in your diet- shown to reduce stiffness and pain
-Tumeric- helps reduce inflammation
- Avoid sugar, alcohol and tobacco
- Eat celery- contains anti-inflammatory substance luteolin
- Do hexane free castor oil wraps- soak a piece of flannel and wrap it around the joint and wrap a warm towel around that. Leave it in place for 1 hour. Caution: castor oil stains- shower after removal
At North Jersey Massage Maywood, NJ we help to alleviate arthritis pain and discomforts. For additional questions, help or treatment to relieve arthritis pain call 201-406-8220